The Sistine Chapel: Limited Edition Deluxe Collector's Set
Gump’s is proud to present a once-in-a-lifetime gift: “The Sistine Chapel” — an art treasure for the ages, to acquire or to give as the heirloom of a lifetime. Complete with the Vatican Museum’s authenticity seal, this deluxe three-volume collector’s set is the result of a five-year collaboration between Callaway, the Vatican Museums and the Italian art publisher Scripta Maneant of Bologna, Italy. A limited edition of 1,999 copies, with only 600 available in the English language for the world, the work will never be reprinted.
Employing ultra-high-resolution digital photography, along with the finest Italian bookmaking craftsmanship, “The Sistine Chapel” is comprised of three volumes. This giant 822-page magnum opus features state-of-the-art color accuracy and printing fidelity, matched against the actual frescoes, to produce a 1:1 life-scale rendering of masterworks by Michelangelo, Botticelli, Perugino and other Renaissance artists as the world has never seen them.
Volume I: The Frescoes of the 15th Century portrays scenes from the life of Moses and Christ.
Volume II: The Ceiling depicts the story of human kind from creation to the coming of Christ in frescoes by Michelangelo.
Volume III: The Last Judgment covers the entire alter wall and envisions the Last Judgment and the Second Coming of Christ in fresco by Michelangelo.
To achieve this monumental task, a team of photographers used a 33-foot-tall scaffold and rig to capture every centimeter of the chapel in gigapixel digital photography over the course of 67 consecutive nights, creating more than 270,000 individual images that were then seamlessly stitched together. The words of Antonio Paolucci, former Director of the Vatican Museums, accompany the reader on the journey through the Sistine Chapel.
The Sistine Chapel
- Each volume: 24"L x 17"W; 25 lbs.
- 822 total pages.
- Printed in six-color offset lithography, including 220 gatefolds.
- Hand-bound in three-piece Bodoniana-binding in silk with metallic ink.
- White calf leather spines debossed in silver, gold and platinum foil stamping.
- Debossed handmade Italian endpapers featuring Cosmati mosaic tile floor patterns in the Sistine Chapel.
- Typographic design by Jerry Kelly.
- Each volume is protected in a custom cotton sleeve; a pair of white cotton gloves is provided for archival handling.
- Bespoke handmade gift box for the three individual volumes and for the set.
- Custom-designed viewing stand and cabinet available by special order.
Please contact us at 1.866.612.2226 to schedule a white glove private viewing at 250 Post Street.